Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rocky Roads

Logan city: WHY?

I'm all for routine maintenance and keeping nice roads, but really, do you need to leave so much loose gravel on the shoulders?

I've been riding my bike to work every day (haven't driven once!) and its been great. Then Monday I found that they'd repaved Park Avenue which is about half of the 4 mile commute for me. Thats ok I thought, though I missed the smooth black asphalt. They have to add asperities (rocky rough surface) to make it safe in wet conditions. But it wasn't long before I ran into large piles of loose rock on the sides of the road. Where the car wheels leave tracks is ok, but there are long channels of 2"-3" deep loose gravel. This is not safe for cyclists. I have nearly washed out a few times now and there are always rocks being flipped up by passing vehicles.

Light a candle instead of cursing the darkness, right? Well I've tried several different routes to minimize my time on Park Avenue but there are several other roads in the same condition. I just hope this is temporary until they take around the street sweeper or something.

Seriously?

No comments: