Friday, November 21, 2014

Common Synthesizer Envelope Types

The term "infographic" seems like such a marketing buzzword it makes me want to ignore whomever says it. But I'm all for the presentation of information in a logical and clear manner. As I was pondering on how to increase interest in my audio plugins I thought about my ADBSSR envelopes that I love in the cellular automaton synth. I wanted some way to present quickly both how to use them and why they offer advantage over traditional ADSR envelope generators.They do add complexity but there's really no way to add a swell as we horn players do all the time to a patch without it. It even can look exactly like an ADHR when the Breakpoint is set to 1. Anyway I thought a diagram with explanatory text would do the trick. So I made one:

Figure 1: Not an infographic
This isn't an infographic though. I don't really know why I think that word is so stupid. Probably just because I tend to hate on anything trendy and hyped. Anyhow. Now you know how I feel. This image is in the public domain though I would appreciate citation.

No comments: